In Padma puran Shrishtikhand , Sage Pulastya explained that once Lord Brahma told to Sage Narad who is worthy of Receiving Vishnu’s blessings when asked by Sage Narada.He also told why Gayatri mantra is so important.
Who is worthy of Vishnu’s blessings
Lord Brahma had told Narad that Lord Vishnu showered his blessings on those
- who engaged themselves in the service of brahmins.
- A brahmin should be virtuous and well versed in all the scriptures.
- A brahmin who does not observe the rituals as mentioned in the Vedas, brings disgrace to his ancestors.
- An ideal brahmin is respectful towards his parents, teachers and treats his guests with due honour.
- He never aspires for women other than his wife and chants the sacred Gayatri mantra everyday.
Gayatri mantra for liberation
Goddess Gayatri is said to have manifested in the lineage of Sankhyayan. She is of fair complexion and fire is the symbolical expression of her mouth. Lord Brahma dwells on her forehead, Lord Vishnu in her heart and Lord Rudra has his abode in her braided hair. The Gayatri mantra consists of 24 letters and each of them is related with a specific deity. There is a mention of Gayatri mantra, which consists of 18 letters. It begins with the word ‘agni’ and ends with ‘swaha’. The mantra is as follows
OM AGNERVAKPUNSI YAJURDEDIN JUSHTA SOMAM PIBA SWAHA.
A person, who chants the mantra for 100 times, becomes liberated from gravest of sin.
The various deities related with the twenty-four letters of Gayatri Mantra are as follows.
|All the deities||Rudra||Brahma||Vishnu|
A devotee should then perform the ritual of ‘nyas’ by mentally establishing different words of the Gayatri mantra in the various parts of his body as given below
|OM BHUH||The Heart|
|OM BHUVAH||The Head|
|OM SWAH||The Top Knot(Shikha)|
|OM TATSAVITURVARENYAM||Whole body|
|OM BHARGODEVASYA DHIMAHI||Both the eyes|
|OM DHIYO YO NAH PRACHODAYAT||Both the hands|
Regular chanting of Gayatri mantra bestows similar virtues attained by the study of all the four Vedas. Anybody who chants Gayatri mantra attains salvation.